Sunday, August 16, 2015

Wandering Around Colombo City

"Mom, where is the paradise". asked Camron as we toured around Colombo city.  Oh, Cam you are so right. Colombo isn't really the place to be when on  vacation in Sri Lanka, but it is a place of sentimental value to those who wish to revisit the past.  Today was the day we walked down memory lane. First, Ramzi and I walked around Gale Face and he told me stories from his youth,  We then headed to his old neighborhood, and visited the house he grew up in, It is just steps away from the beach. Sadly it has been demolished and is currently being turned into a high rise apartment complex.  Next, we visited St. Peter's College, ironically it is the high school that both Ramzi and my dad went to. We had a great time there, looking around and listening to Ramzi recall his school days. We even got to sit in one of his old classrooms and "play school". 
After that, we went to visit the neighborhood my dad grew up in.  11 Frankfort Place...the original home was still there and I got teary eyed as I recalled stories and black and white photos from  my grandmother. It was almost like a dream, actually seeing the property and the neighborhood that I had heard so much about over the years from my own childhood,  We then looked around "the flats" or what was in the 60's the only high rise apartments on the island.  Again, it was surreal putting a visual on old stories from my dad's family.
Of course by then it was tea time, and so we headed to the best High Tea in Colombo...The Kingsbury Hotel! My Mom and Aunty Ashanti joined us and we lingered for hours, sipping hot and cold varieties of tea, and eating sweet and savory goodies.
We headed back to the On three 20 apartments where we were staying in Colombo and the boys cooled off with a swim, and we relaxed for a bit before heading out the next morning to Nuwara Eliya (a city in the mountains)...so that Camron could once again see "the paradise".




























































































































No comments:

Post a Comment